Large Animal Clinical Sciences
Large Animal Surgery
Director, Island Whirl Equine Colic Research Laboratory
PO Box 100136
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608-0136
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1989
- MVB, MRCVS, Veterinary College of Ireland, University College Dublin, Ireland, 1972
- PhD, Department of Comparative Medical Sciences Graduate Faculty, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pa., 1985
Honors and Awards
- Award from the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, “in recognition of outstanding contributions to the development of equine surgery worldwide.” April 16, 2011
- Class of 2010 Teacher of the Year Award, UF College of Veterinary Medicine, Gainesville, Fla., 2007
- Graduate Faculty, University of Florida, Research and Graduate Programs, Gainesville, Fla., 2007.
- Member in Phi Zeta, University of Illinois (to 2004) and University of Florida (2006 to present).
- Sir Frederick Hobday Memorial Lecture: Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment of Colic. Invited to present by the British Equine Veterinary Association, Royal College of Physicians, London, December 15, 2004.
Pathophysiology and treatment of diseases that cause colic in horses, with special emphasis on ischemic diseases of the small and large intestines.
- Effect of feed deprivation on daily water consumption in healthy horses.