Research Assistant Professor
Center for Environmental & Human Toxicology
Department of Physiological Sciences
1333 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610-0144
- B.S., Marine Science and Biology, University of Miami, Miami, FL, 1996
- Ph.D., Medicinal Chemistry IDP Toxicology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2005
My interests and research include exposure modeling and refinement of exposure estimates for use in risk assessment. The University of Florida’s Center for Environmental and Human Toxicology holds the singular contract for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) to provide technical reviews of risk assessments for the State of Florida. Over past years we have produced hundreds of these technical reviews advising the FDEP on all aspects of risk assessment and have created exposure models for seafood consumption for high-end consumers on the Gulf of Mexico, irrigation of vegetable gardens and ornamental beds, and swimmers in creeks and the ocean. Our recent work includes an NIH grant to generate a threshold dose for memory impairment from long term exposure to domoic acid in clams. Additionally, we are currently working with the FDEP to develop screening criteria for perfluoroalkyl substances in surface water that are protective of human and ecological health.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) – Toxicology Support Services HW548 08/20/10 – 06/30/20 Co-PI.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) – Toxicology Support Services HW549: 07/01/13 – 06/30/20 Co-PI.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) – Rapid Risk Assessment of Chronic Domoic Acid Exposure in WA Razor Clam Harvesters
10/20/17 – 3/31/19 Co-PI on subaward, 1R21ES028060
- Miami-Dade Environmental Resource Management (DERM) – Toxicology Support Services: 02/22/18 – 9/30/21 Co-PI
- Bioaccessibility of polychlorinated dioxins and furans in soil from a Superfund site, Sep. 2018
- Incremental sampling methodology: Applications for background screening assessments, Jan. 2018
Additional publications here
Last updated 5 Dec 2018