Department of Comparative, Diagnostic & Population Medicine
PO Box 100123
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32610-0123
Fax: (352) 392-7259
- Ph.D. in Veterinary Medicine. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. 2010. Dissertation topic: “Discovery, Phylogenetic Analysis, Diagnostic Test Development, and Surveillance of the Astroviruses of Marine Mammals”.
- Residency, Zoological Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. 2002-2005.
- Internship, Avian/Exotic/Wildlife Medicine and Surgery, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON. 2001-2002.
- M.S. in Molecular Veterinary Biosciences. University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN. 2001. Thesis topic: “Mycoplasma infections in passerine birds in Minnesota”.
- D.V.M. University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN. 2001. GPA 3.98.
- B.A. in Biochemistry, Physics minor. Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME. 1992.
Honors and Awards
- 2006, ACZM Manuscript Award
- 2005, Phi Zeta Best Clinical Research Publication Award
- 2004, Association of Avian Veterinarians Resident Manuscript Competition Award
- 2001, Hoyt scholarship for future academician
- 2000, Schlotthauer scholarship for parasitology
- 1999, 1st place SCAVMA Symposium academic competition in exotics
- 1999, Caleb Doerr Award for highest GPA in DVM class
- 1999, Phi Zeta honor society
- 1998, Caleb Doerr Award for highest GPA in DVM class
Teaching and Research Interests
- Comparative infectious disease diagnostics, novel pathogen identification, and host/pathogen evolution and ecology.
- Development of techniques for rapid initial sequence identification of broad groups of agents, enabling identification of novel agents during initial disease outbreaks in a clinically useful time course
- Further surveillance of novel infectious agents in wildlife together with studies of host switching which may identify agents of concern before significant outbreaks occur, enabling management strategies for risk mitigation to be proactive rather than reactive.
Additional publications here