Director, Hofmann Equine Neonatal ICU
Chief Medical Officer, UF Large Animal Hospital
Large Animal Internal Medicine
PO Box 100136
2015 SW 16th Ave.
Gainesville, FL 32608-0136
- PhD, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., 2003
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Large Animal, 1999
- Resident, Large Animal Internal Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., 1996-1999
- DVM, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., 1995
Honors and Awards
- Large Animal Clinician of the Year, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., 2005, 2010 and 2011
- Florida Veterinary Medical Association Clinical Investigator Award, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., 2007
- Excellence in Doctoral Studies, University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, Gainesville, Fla., 2003
- Large Animal Resident of the Year, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., 1999
My research has primarily been focused on three main areas: the equine gastric ulcer syndrome, pain management in the horse, and critical care of equine neonates. My laboratory has evaluated the effectiveness of various drugs for the treatment of gastric ulcers in foals and adult horses and for pain management in adult horses. We have also evaluated how different factors (age, housing, illness) can affect the physiologic environment of the stomach in foals and adult horses. The overall goal of this work is to gain a better understanding of the equine gastric ulcer syndrome and to improve our ability to manage various types of pain in horses.
- A Pilot Study Exploring the Relationship Between Digesta Retention Time in the Equine Gastrointestinal Tract and Compartment Models.