Department of Infectious Diseases & Immunology
PO Box 110880
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608-0880
- DVM, Veterinary Medicine, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru, 1966
- DipTVM, Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 1968
- MSc, Animal Virology, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 1969
- PhD, Poultry Science, Avian Virology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA, 1977
Over the last decade, research in my laboratories has concentrated on the development of molecular assays for the early detection and characterization of viruses of livestock and poultry. We have also been involved in the development of genetically engineered recombinant DNA viruses and DNA molecules with potential vaccine use in poultry and livestock. More recently, we have concentrated on the development of diagnostic assays to identify novel viruses of marine mammals that may be associated with disease and stranding. Present efforts emphasize obtaining complete gene sequences from these viruses to determine genetic relatedness and diversity in different marine mammal species and on their protein expression to develop serological assays.
- Genome Sequence of an Alphaherpesvirus from a Beluga Whale (Delphinapterus leucas).
- A Genomic Approach to Unravel Host-Pathogen Interaction in Chelonians: The Example of Testudinid Herpesvirus 3.
- Expression from baculovirus and serological reactivity of the nucleocapsid protein of dolphin morbillivirus.
Additional publications here