Recent and Upcoming Events
- On October 5, 2018, please join us in the CVM Courtyard (hammock area) from 12:20PM-1:00PM as we continue the celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month. Bring your shoes for some Salsa lessons. We will be providing música and Salsa lessons! Come out to celebrate and we hope to see you there! Also, check out UF’s Hispanic Heritage Month Facebook page for more events on main campus: https://www.facebook.com/UFHHM/
- On July 15-20, 2018, the College of Veterinary Medicine successfully piloted their 2018 Summer Vet Camp for 20 high school students interested in pursuing veterinary medicine. Many of these students were from underrepresented populations within veterinary medicine. There were over 100 applicants interested. More information regarding the program and how to apply can be found here: https://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/about-the-college/diversity-inclusion/summer-program-gator-vet-camp-2018/
- On June 1, 2018, the UF Summer Health Professions Education Program visited the College of Veterinary Medicine for tours, hands-on workshops, and pre-vet advising. More information regarding the program and how to apply can be found here: https://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/about-the-college/diversity-inclusion/summer-program/
- On May 29-June 2, 2018, the College of Veterinary MEdicine sent seven total faculty and staff representatives to the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education (NCORE) in New Orleans, LA. The highest representation of any vet school in attendance. Dr.’s Lisa Farina and Jaron Jones presented a poster on “Developing Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives from a Qualitative Climate Survey at a College of Veterinary Medicine.”
- On May 18-20, 2018, Dr.’s Lisa Farina and Michael Bowie attended the Regional Iverson Bell Symposium Sponsored by Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine.This symposium included several workshops on equity, inclusion, and holistic admissions within veterinary medicine.
- On April 21, 2018, the Diversity and Inclusion Veterinary Alliance and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee hosted a “Celebrating Diversity Together” photo booth at the College of Veterinary Medicine Open House.
- On April 20-22, 2018, Students, Faculty, and Staff within the College of Veterinary Medicine participated in the 2018 DiVersity Matters Symposium, hosted by the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Jaron Jones (CVM Director of Diversity and Inclusion) led a keynote for the conference on “Using Narrative to Enhance Inclusion and Wellbeing.”
- On February 2, 2018, Dr. Jaron Jones, Dr. Michael Bowie and Aber Rivera spoke at Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Florida to discuss careers within veterinary medicine and how to apply to the Summer Health Professions Education Program.
- On January 26-27, 2018, The College of Veterinary Medicine is cosponsored keynote speaker Tim Wise at the UF Social Justice Summit: For The Gator Good.The 2018 theme was “Allyship: Identify. Interact, & Impact.” Based on the theme, the summit fostered discussions around an active, consistent, and arduous practice of re-evaluating our power and privilege in order to practice ways to act in solidarity with marginalized groups of people.
- On January 11-28, 2018, The University of Florida will hosted its annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration. The campus-wide celebration brought together many student organizations and university departments to make the celebration a success. Our 2018 theme was: “Building a Beloved Community through Advocacy and Justice.”
- On September 5-8, 2017, UF Multicultural & Diversity Affairs (MCDA) invited us to engage in an event series on anti-racism education. This was a great opportunity to interact with faculty, staff, and peers on challenging racism on our campus and community.
- On May 30-June 3, 2017, Dr.’s Lisa Farina and Jaron Jones attended the National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE) (Ft. Worth, TX). https://www.ncore.ou.edu/en/2017/
- On May 22-June 30, 2017, the UF Summer Health Professions Education Program visited the College of Veterinary Medicine for tours, hands-on workshops, and pre-vet advising. More information regarding the program and how to apply can be found here: http://www.shpep.org/apply-to-shpep/
- On March 29-April 1, the College of Veterinary Medicine hosted a booth at the Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS) National Conference Career Far in Pittsburgh, PA. For More information about MANRRS, visit http://www.manrrs.org
- To continue with our college goal of creating an inclusive and diverse community, several of our veterinary students were showcased in the Spanish Univision network. On March 19, Animales 360 con Xiomaraaired a piece featuring three of our Hispanic senior students, Jose Carvajal, Alejandra Gonzales and Carmen Morales. The piece presented our students as pet owners, future professionals receiving an outstanding education, and proud of their Hispanic heritage. Jose, Alejandra and Carmen showed their passion towards the profession when speaking about the baby hippo the college had under medical observation, the shelter program who works closely with local shelters and how part of their training aids these animals find a forever home. The full story can be found here: http://uni.vi/bEai100Cqrq