The criteria for promotion or for granting of tenure shall be relevant to the performance of the work which the faculty member has been assigned to do and to the faculty member’s duties and responsibilities as a member of the University community. These criteria recognize three (3) broad categories of academic service as follows:
- Instruction, including regular classroom teaching, direction of theses and dissertations, academic advisement, extension programs, and all preparation for this work including study to keep abreast of one’s field.
- Research or other creative activity including scholarly, peer-reviewed publications.
- Professional and public service.
2023-2024 Tenure and Promotion Information
College of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Veterinary Medicine Tenure and Promotion Guidelines – 2021 Revised Version
- College of Veterinary Medicine Tenure and Promotion Guidelines
- 2021 PowerPoint Presentation
- 2023-2024 Generic T&P Template
- Educational Portfolio Template
- Educational Portfolio Example 1
- Educational Portfolio Example 2
- Clinical Portfolio Template
- Extension Portfolio Template
- Section 8 Guidelines
- Section 8 Tenure Track Guidelines
- Section 8 Multi Mission Guidelines
- Section 8 Single Mission Guidelines
- External Reviewer Guidelines
Department Chair Information
- Guidelines for Writing Tenure and Promotion Letters
- Chair’s Letter Advice
- Chair’s Letter Template
- Soliciting External Reviewers at UFCVM
- Chair’s Letter Power Point
University of Florida
- Tenure and Promotion Guidelines 2023-2024
- Promotion and Tenure COVID Impact Statement Guidance for Faculty
- Highlighted changes for 2023-2024
- University Tenure and Promotion Regulations
All applications for promotion, tenure, and/or permanent status at the University of Florida will be processed in the Online Promotion and Tenure (OPT) System.
- The 2023-24 Application template is in MYUFL. Web Browser should be set to allow pop-ups.
- Log onto MYUFL
- Go to Main Menu > My Self Service > Faculty Promotion and Tenure > UF Faculty Promotion and Tenure > Promotion and Tenure Packet > Packet Template with Activity.
- The Template will open as a Word file, with some sections auto-populated with the candidate’s information.
2023-2024 College of Veterinary Medicine and University Deadlines
- January 1, 2023 – January 30, 2023
Faculty member discusses possible application for promotion and/or tenure in Fall and, if (s)he decides to go forward, discusses list of 8-10 potential external reviewers with Chair.
- April 1, 2023
Faculty candidate attends one of the campus- sponsored workshops organized by the Provost’s Office.
- March 15, 2023
Faculty member consults with Chair to finalize list of external reviewers.
- April 15, 2023 – April 31, 2023
Faculty member completes updating of CV and Section 2: Brief Description of Job Duties from T&P template to be used by Chair for soliciting letters from external reviewers.
- June 1, 2023
Faculty member completes first draft of all sections of the dossier and provides to Chair for review and feedback. Review may include Chair and another senior faculty member as designated by the Chair.
- June 15, 2023
Chair or designee sends initial query email to potential external reviewers.
- July 1, 2023
First round of edits and comments are returned to the candidate, who meets with the Chair, mentor(s) and Glen Mapes to review and make revisions. Chair sends requests for letters to external reviewers with requested return date of September 15.
- July 15, 2023
Second draft of dossier is returned to Chair and Glen Mapes for additional editing and formatting.
- August 1, 2023
Dossier is distributed to department faculty for preliminary feedback.
- August 15, 2023
Comments and edits from department faculty are returned to the candidate for final editing.
- September 15, 2023
Department vote and final dossiers due.
- October 1, 2023
Dossiers due to Glen Mapes in Human Resources.
- October 15, 2023
College P&T committee reviews dossiers and provides feedback to Dean by November 1.
- November 15, 2023
Dean reviews candidate dossiers and writes letter.
- January 15, 2024
Dossiers due on campus for University Level review.
The mid-career review process for tenure-accruing and non-tenure accruing faculty in the College of Veterinary Medicine will occur after three years of employment. The review process will be used to formally advise the tenure-accruing faculty member on his/her progress toward tenure and recommend courses of action for improvement, if necessary. For non-tenure accruing faculty, the review process will be used to formally advise the candidate of his/her progress toward promotion.
For questions, please contact:
- Glen Mapes – College Tenure & Promotion Administrator
- Your Tenure & Promotion Department Administrators:
2023 Tenure and Promotion Workshops
Workshops have been scheduled to discuss the preparation of Online Promotion and Tenure (OPT) packets and the University evaluation process for 2023-24. We encourage faculty who will be submitting packets this fall, members of this year’s college/unit review boards, new hires, and other interested faculty who may be going through the OPT process in the near future to attend one of the following sessions. To sign up for one of the faculty workshops, please register in myUFL, myTRAINING: Code: PRO340
- Monday, April 3, 2023
McKnight Brain Institute or Virtual (Mediasite)
- Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Reitz Union Auditorium or Virtual (Mediasite)
- OPT Workshop Recording 2022
Web Simulations and Instruction Guides
- Candidate simulations can be accessed via UF Human Resources website.
- Indicating Candidate Designee Instructions
- Downloading & Completing Packet Template Instructions
- Uploading & Certifying Faculty Template Packet Instructions
- Adding Documents to Section 34 Instructions
- Candidate Response to Chair Evaluative Letter Instructions
- Candidate Response to Dean Evaluative Letter Instructions
- Candidate Approval of Additions to Section 34 Instructions
- Managing OPT Publications Instructions
- Managing Patents & Software Copyrights Instructions
- Managing OPT Honors Instructions
- Managing OPT Presentations Instructions
- Department administrators simulations can be accessed via UF Human Resources website.
- Adding Candidate & Opening Packet Instructions
- Adding Department Reviewers & Chair/Director (and Designee) Instructions
- Adding Distinguished Professor/Curator Nominee Instructions
- Adding Documents & Certifying Packet Instructions
- Adding Department OPT Faculty Reviewer Assessment Results Instructions
- Viewing Chair or Director Endorsement Instructions