What an exciting year it has been! Our celebration of the UF College of Veterinary Medicine’s 40th Anniversary has permeated throughout the year as we take stock of 40 years-worth of accomplishments by our students, faculty, staff and alumni, and as we envision even more great things in our future.
We’ve heard so many remarkable stories and are amazed every day at the ways in which our college’s people and programs are making a positive, demonstrable difference in the world.
We have clearly hit our stride as a college and have great momentum across our missions of education, research, patient care, and community engagement. Here are some key examples:
- We’ve experienced unprecedented growth in our UF Veterinary Hospitals and are beginning to plan for expansion of facilities in both Gainesville and Ocala.
- Our designated research and laboratory space has increased dramatically with the completion of laboratory renovations in and near the Veterinary Academic Building and with a new building constructed north of Archer Road for the Center for Environmental and Human Toxicology group.
- The college’s research enterprise is growing by leaps and bounds. This past year, research revenue at the UFCVM hit a total in excess of $19 million, an increase of nearly 90 percent over the 2015 FY.
- Our educational mission has been greatly enhanced with the implementation of our new clinical skills laboratory, which makes possible the use of innovative animal models and simulations that our faculty members are helping to develop and implement. These innovative developments in teaching and learning have been embraced by our faculty as well as our students, and have positioned our college as a leader in academic veterinary medicine.
- Community engagement has never been stronger. Our ongoing “Night in the Swamp” gatherings with local veterinary medical associations have helped us build and fortify relationships with UFCVM alumni and other practitioners who in turn benefit from the continuing education we offer through these events.
- Our vital relationship with the Florida Veterinary Medical Association continues to deepen through increased collaborations in everything from college activities to programs to scholarships.
- Philanthropic support from key stakeholders reached a record $24 million this year in a blend of planned (estate) gifts, cash pledges, and cash gifts.
While all of these achievements could be viewed as “data points”, we view them most importantly as points of pride and key indicators of ongoing success.
We have every reason to celebrate not just our rich past, but our future. We’ve proven that there’s no challenge too great for us to accept and no limit to what we can achieve through creativity, hard work and perseverance.
Thanks to all of you for helping to keep our college vibrant and relevant every day, in so many ways.