Large Animal Clinical Sciences
Large Animal Surgery
Equine Lameness & Imaging
PO Box 100136
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608-0136
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 2014
- Resident, Equine Surgery, Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital, Lexington, KY, 2010-2013
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2007-2010
- Internship, Ontario Veterinary College University of Guelph Guelph, ON, 2006-2007
- DVM, Ontario Veterinary College University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Surgical Resident Award, First Place Large Animal Residents’ Forum Presentation, ACVS Symposium, 2011
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with Distinction, University of Guelph, 2006
- Pfizer Animal Health Company Prize, University of Guelph, 2006
- Allan H. Hart/IDEXX Scholarship, University of Guelph, 2006
- Dr. Jean Rumney Memorial Scholarship, University of Guelph, 2005
- Regenerative therapies
- Tendon and ligament injuries
- Cartilage repair and osteoarthritis
- Upper airway evaluation of performance horses
- McCarrel TM, Mall NA, Lee AS, Cole BJ, Butty DC, Fortier LA. Considerations for the use of platelet-rich plasma in orthopaedic sports medicine. Sports Med. 2014 Aug;44(8):1025-36.
- McCarrel TM, Minas T, Fortier LA. Optimization of leukocyte concentration in platelet-rich plasma for the treatment of tendinopathy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Oct 3;94(19):e143(1-8).
- Schnabel LV, Papich MG, Divers TJ, Altier C, Aprea MS, McCarrel TM, Fortier LA. Pharmacokinetics and distribution of minocycline in mature horses after oral administration of multiple doses and comparison with minimum inhibitory concentrations. Equine Vet J. 2012 Jul;44(4):453-8.
- Fortier LA, Barker JU, Strauss EJ, McCarrel TM, Cole BJ. The role of growth factors in cartilage repair. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Oct;469(10):2706-15.
- McCarrel TM, Fortier LA. Temporal growth factor release from platelet rich plasma, trehalose lyophilized platelets, and bone marrow aspirate and their effect on tendon and ligament gene expression. J Orthop Res. 2009 Aug;27(8):1033-42.