Department of Physiological Sciences
PO Box 100144
1600 SW Archer Rd.
Gainesville, FL 32610-0144-0125
- B.S., Physiology, University of California, Davis, 1976
- Ph.D., Veterinary Anatomy, University of California, Davis, 1985
Honors and Awards
- Basic Science Teacher of the Year, University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, 2000, 2003, and 2012
- Teacher of the Year: University of Florida, Veterinary Medicine Classes of 1992, 2000, 2005, and 2015
- University of Florida Research Professorship Award, 2006
- Pfizer Award for Research Excellence, University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, 1999
- National All-Collegiate Advisor Award, Collegiate Inventors Program, 1998
- Yearbook Teacher of the Year, University of California, Davis, 1986
- Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award: University of California, Davis, 1983
- Graduate Student Research Award: University of California, Davis, 1983
1. In vivo and in vitro electrophysiology, neuroanatomy, and immunohistochemistry of the single sensory neurons, spinal cord and brainstem interneurons, and motoneurons mediating control of the reproductive and pelvic organs; normal mechanisms, role in reproductive behavior and visceral function, sensory and motor dysfunction following chronic spinal cord or nerve injury, chronic pain, efficacy of neural transplantation in recovery of function.
2. Electrophysiology and neuroanatomy of the peripheral sensory nerves with respect to chronic peripheral nerve injury and nerve regeneration strategies; receptive field responses of single sensory neurons innervating skin, viscera, and muscle; efficacy of target-specific nerve trophic factors and processed allografts in the recovery of function.
Additional publications here