Adjunct Professor, Emergency & Critical Care
Interim Chair, Comparative, Diagnostic & Population Medicine
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
PO Box 100126
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32610-0126
- BS, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1968
- DVM, Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, Salutatorian, 1970 (with honors)
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 1975
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care, 1989
Honors and Awards
- Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 2000, Endocrinology, University of Florida
- Selected to do Hooding at Graduation by Class of 2000, University of Florida
- SCAVMA National Teacher of the Year, Clinical Sciences, 2001
- Blue Key Award for Distinguished Teaching, University of Florida, 2001
- Teacher of the Year, Class 2001, Endocrinology, University of Florida
- Faculty Achievement Award, American Association of Veterinary Clinicians, 2003
- FAKC Clinical Research Award, 2003
- Selected for Academic Keys Who’s Who in Veterinary Medicine Higher Education, 2003
- UFCVM Distinguished Service Award – 2005
- Superior Accomplishment Award, 2006
- Invited Commencement Keynote Speaker, 2006
- Administer Veterinary Oath, Graduating Class of 2007
- Master of Ceremony, Awards Banquet, 2007
- Presented abstract at Venom Week International Symposium, 2007
- Emcee for Offshore 2009 Graduating Class, Dec. 5, 2008
- Keynote speaker, chosen by the Class of 2010, May 29, 2010
- Clinician of the Year Award – Class 2010
Small animal internal medicine; Endocrinology; Emergency medicine/critical care; Poisonous snake bites
Armentano R, Schaer M. Overview and controversies in the medicial management of pit viper envenomation in the dog. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2011; 21(5): 461-470
Schaer M. Editorial – A Focus on Snake Venoms and Antivenom. JVECC, October 2011.
Willey, J.R., and Schaer, M.: Eastern diamondback rattlesnake (Crotalus adamanteus) envenomation of dogs – 31 cases (1982-2002) and review of the literature. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 41:22-33, 2005.
Schaer, M., Halling, K.B., Collins, K.E., and Grant, D.C.: Combined hyponatremia and hyperkalemia mimicking an addisonian crisis in three pregnant dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 218:897-899, 2001.
Kremer, K.A., and Schaer, M.: Coral snake (Micrurus fulvius fulvius) envenomation in eight dogs – Present and earlier findings. J Vet Emerg Critc Care 5:9-15, 1995.
Bowen, D., Schaer, M., and Riley, W.: Autoimmune polyendocrinopathy in a dog – a case report. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 22:649-654, 1986.
Schaer, M., Riley, W., Buergelt, C., et al.: Autoimmunity and Addison’s disease in the dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 22:789-794, 1986.
Additional publications here