Julie K. Levy
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
PO Box 100126
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32610-0126
- BA, Journalism, San Jose State University, San Jose, CA, 1982
- DVM, Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA, 1989
- Internship, Medicine and Surgery, Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, Boston, MA, 1990
- Residency, Internal Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1993
- PhD, Immunology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1997
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Small Animal), 1993
Honors and Awards
- European Society of Feline Medicine Award for Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Feline Medicine, to be awarded in Budapest, Hungary, September 2007.
- Outstanding Woman Veterinarian of the Year, Association of Women Veterinarians, 2005.
- Commendation for Community Service, Alachua County Board of Commissioners, 2005.
- Clinical Investigator Award, Florida Veterinary Medical Association, 2003.
- Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award, 2003.
- Student Organization Advisor of the Year for the Student Chapter of the American Association of Feline Practitioners, University of Florida, 2002.
- Superior Accomplishment Award, for establishment of Operation Catnip, a large-scale spay-neuter clinic for feral cats at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, 2000.
- Distinguished Research Award, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 1993.
- Silver Animal Bedside Manner Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, 1993.
Small animal medicine; feline medicine; immunology; infectious disease; FIV; FeLV
Levy JK, Friary JA, Miller LA, Tucker SJ, Fagerstone KA. Long-term fertility control in female cats with GonaCon, a GnRH immunocontraceptive. Theriogenol 2011;76:15-17-1525.
Levy JK. Contraceptive vaccines for the humane control of community cat populations. J Am Repro Immunol 2011;66:63-70.
Dunn KF, Levy JK, Colby KN, Michaud R. Diagnostic, treatment, and prevention protocols for feline heartworm infection in animal sheltering agencies. J Parasitol 2011;176:342-349.
Colby KN, Levy JK, Dunn KF, Michaud R. Diagnostic, treatment, and prevention protocols for canine heartworm infection in animal sheltering agencies. J Parasitol 2011;176:333-341.
Levy JK, Lappin MR, Glaser AL, Birkenheuer AJ, Anderson TC, Edinboro CH. Prevalence of infectious diseases in cats and dogs rescued following Hurricane Katrina. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;238;311-317.
McIntyre RL, Levy JK, Roberts JF, Reep RL. Developmental uterine anomalies in cats and dogs undergoing elective ovariohysterectomy. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2010;237:542-546.
Additional publications here