- PhD, Colorado State University, Veterinary Epidemiology, 1990
- MPVM, University of California at Davis Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 1985
- DVM, University of Baja California, Veterinary Medicine, 1983
Honors and Awards
- 2006 University of Florida / Distinguished International Educator
- 2004 University of Florida / Distinguished International Educator
- 2003 University of Florida: Health Science Center / Superior Accomplishment Award.
Dr. Hernandez’s main areas of research interest include epidemiology and diagnostics of diseases in animal and human populations. Since 2000, he serves as chair of the infection control committee at the UFVH Large Animal Hospital, where he also plays an important role as co-investigator in clinical research with faculty and residents. Since 2003, he serves as Director of the Office of International Programs. Since 2000, he collaborates with USDA as instructor and mentor in capacity building and training programs in animal health in Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia, and Africa. He is a visiting scholar at the University of Yucatan in Mexico and the Universidad de La Salle in Bogota, Colombia. He is author or co-author of 90+ scientific publications in the area of epidemiololgy, health and policy.
Publications listed here.