John W. Harvey
Department of Physiological Sciences
PO Box 100144
Gainesville, FL 32610-0144
Phone: (352) 294-4400
FAX: (352) 392-5145
- DVM, Kansas State University, Manhattan, 1970
- PhD, University of California, Davis, 1974
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Clinical Pathology), 1977
Honors and Awards
- Research Award, American Association of Feline Practitioners, 1982
- Norden Distinguished Teacher Award, University of Florida, 1984
- C.L. Davis Foundation Journal Scholarship Award, 1991
- Daniels Pharmaceuticals Senior Clinical Investigator Award, University of Florida, 1993
- Alumni Recognition Award, Kansas State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, 2002
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Animal Clinical Chemistry, Division of Animal Clinical Chemistry, American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 2002
- Lifetime Achievement Award, American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 2007
Areas of research interest and publications have included erythrocyte metabolism of domestic animals, Heinz body hemolytic anemias, serum haptoglobin alterations in disease states, iron deficiency anemia, methemoglobinemias, myeloproliferative and lymphoproliferative disorders, developmental hematology and iron metabolism in foals, hematology and iron metabolism of pregnant mares, and infectious agents of blood cells. Infectious agents studied include Mycoplasma haemofelis, Cytauxzoon felis, Anaplasma platys, Ehrlichia canis, Anaplasma phagocytophilum, Babesia canis and Leishmania donovani.
A longstanding area of interest is inherited defects of erythrocyte metabolism in domestic animals. Publications have resulted from in depth studies of clinical cases of pyruvate kinase deficiency in dogs, methemoglobin reductase deficiency in dogs and cats, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in horses, and flavin adenine dinucleotide deficiency in horses. Extensive experimental studies have been conducted on erythrocytes and muscles from adult and neonatal phosphofructokinase-deficient dogs. A new area of study focuses on the clinical chemistry and hematology of Florida manatees.
For Publications Extracted From Medline Click HERE
Harvey JW, Stockham SL, Scott MA, Johnson PJ, Donald JJ, Chandler CJ. Methemoglobinemia and eccentrocytosis in equine erythrocyte flavin adenine dinucleotide deficiency. Vet Pathol 40:632-642, 2003.
Meyer DJ, Harvey JW: Veterinary Laboratory Medicine. Interpretation and Diagnosis, 3rd ed, WB Saunders, St. Louis, 351 pp, 2004.
Harvey JW, Pate MG, Kivipelto J, Asquith RL. Clinical Biochemistry of Pregnant and Nursing Mares. Vet Clin Pathol 34:248-254, 2005.
Harvey JW. Pathogenesis, laboratory diagnosis, and clinical implications of erythrocyte enzyme deficiencies in dogs, cats, and horses. Vet Clin Pathol 35:144-156, 2006.
Harvey JW. Thrombocytotropic anaplasmosis. (A. platys [E. platys] infection). In Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 3rd ed., pp. 229-231, CE Greene ed., WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, 2006.
Harvey JW. Hemotrophic mycoplasmosis (hemobartonellosis). In Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 3rd ed., pp. 252-260, CE Greene ed., WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, 2006.
Harr K, Harvey J, Bonde R., Murphy D, Lowe M, Menchaca M, Haubold E, Francis-Floyd R. Comparison of methods used to diagnose generalized inflammatory disease in manatees (Trichechus Manatus Latirostris). J Zoo Wildlife Med 37:151-159, 2006.
Harvey JW, Dunbar MR, Norton TM, Yabsley MJ. Laboratory findings in acute Cytauxzoon felis infection in cougars (Puma concolor couguar) J Zoo Wildlife Med 38:285-291, 2007.
Harvey JW, Harr KE, Murphy D, Walsh MT, Chittick EJ, Bonde RK, Pate MG, Deutsch CJ, Edwards HH, Haubold EM. Clinical biochemistry in healthy manatees (Trichechus manatus latirostris). J Zoo Wildlife Med 38:269-279, 2007.