Ellis C. Greiner
Department of Infectious Diseases & Immunology
P.O. Box 110880
Gainesville FL 32611-0880
- B.S., Montana State University, Zoology, 1966
- M.S., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Zoology, 1969
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Zoology, 1971
Awards and Honors
- 1984 Teacher of the Year, Class of 1986
- SCAVMA Basic Science Teacher of the Year, 2004
- Daniels Senior Clinical Investigator Award, 1996
- Merck MSD AgVet Award for Creativity 1996
- Veterinary Parasitology Editorial Board. 1995-2005
- UF Superior Accomplishment Award 2002
- Parasitology Advisory Council – Bayer Health Care 2003-2005 CO.
- WHO/FAO Member working team on Bluetongue. Vector Biologist. 1981-1985
- USDA/OICD Cooperating Scientist on bluetongue in the Caribbean and Central America. Vector Biologist. 1982-1983
- USDA/OICD Cooperating Scientist on bluetongue in the Caribbean and Central America. Vector Biologist. 1986-1994
- Editorial Board Journal of Wildlife Diseases 1984-1986
Over the 40 plus years of my research career, I had the opportunity to work with some very bright colleagues and students at three universities and I published with people from around the world. Each of these collaborators aided my research development and allowed me to expand into new avenues of study. My research dealt with the epizootiology and taxonomy of helminths, protozoa, viruses and arthropods. Hosts included most species of domestic animals and free-ranging and captive wild species of mammals, birds and reptiles. A few studies examined the interactions of humans with actual and imagined parasites. Over 220 reviewed and 50 non-reviewed papers were published and over $2,500,000 funded these research activities.
- Parasites of wildlife
- Blood parasites of birds
- Parasites of marine turtles
- Parasite taxonomy
- Biology and vector capabilities of Culicoides (Biting midges)
Greiner, E.C., G.F. Bennett, E.M. White and R.F. Coombs. 1975. Distribution of the avian hematozoa of North America. Can. J. Zool. 53:1762-1787.
Bluetongue in Caribbean, Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture. Vector Biologist. 1981-1985
Gibbs, E.P.J., E.C. Greiner, F.C.M. Alexander, T.H. King and C.J. Roach. 1983. A serological survey of ruminant livestock in some countries of the Caribbean region and South America for antibody to bluetongue virus. Vet. Record. 113:446-448
Atkinson, C.T., D.J. Forrester, E.C. Greiner. 1987. Epizootiology of Haemoproteus meleagridis (Protozoa: Haemosporina) in Florida. II. Seasonal transmission and vector abundance. J. Med. Entomol. 25: 45-51.
Greiner, E.C., F.C.M. Alexander, J. Roach, V.S. St.John, T.H. King, W.P. Taylor, and E.P.J. Gibbs. 1990. Bluetongue epidemiology in the Caribbean region: serological and entomological evidence from a pilot study in Barbados. Med. Vet. Ent. 4:289-295
Tanya, V.N., E.C. Greiner and E.P.J. Gibbs 1992. Evaluation of Culicoides insignis (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) as a vector of bluetongue virus. Vet Microbiol 32: 1-14.of domestic
Cheadle, M.A., C.A. Yowell, D.C. Sellon, M. Hines, P.E. Ginn, A.R. Marsh, R.J. MacKay, J.B. Dame E.C. Greiner. 2001. The striped skunk (Mephitis mephitis) is an intermediate host for Sarcocystis neurona. Internatl. J. Parasitol. 31:843-849.
Garvin, M.C and E.C. Greiner. 2003. Epizootiology of Haemoproteus danilewskyi(Haemorporina:Haemoproteidae) in blue jays (Cyanocitta cristata) in southcentral Florida J. Wildl. Dis. 39: 1-9.
Gillespie, T.R., C.A. Chapman, and E.C. Greiner. 2005. Long term effects of logging on gastrointestinal parasite infections and infection risk in African primate populations. J. Applied Ecology. 42:699-707.
Jacobson,.E.R.,B.L. Homer, B.A.Stacy, E.C. Greiner, N.J. Szabo, C.L. Chrisman, F. Origgi, S., Coberley,L.M. Foley, J.H. Lansberg, L. Flewelling, R,Y. Ewing, R. Morietti, S. Schaf, C. Rose, D.R. Mader, G. R. Harman, C.A. Manire, N.S. Metee, A.P. Mizinsin, and G.S. Shelton. 2006. Neurological disease in wild loggerhead sea turtles, Carette caretta. Dis. Aquatic Org. 139-154.
Savage, A.F., V. Robert, S.M. Goodwman, V. Raharimanga, M.J. Raherilalao, E. Andrianarimisa, F. Ariey and E.C. Greiner. 2009. Blood parasites in birds from Madagascar. J. Wildl. Dis. 45: 907-920.
Stacy, B.A., A.M. Foley, E.C. Greiner, L.H. Herbst, A. Bolten, J. Dame, P Klein, C.A. , N. Mettee, M. Bauer, and E.R. Jacobson. 2010. Spirorchiidiasis in stranded loggerheads (Caretta caretta) and green turtles (Chelonia mydas) in Florida (USA): Host pathology and significance. Diseases Aquat. Organisms 89: 237- 259.