Christopher J. Martyniuk
Center for Environmental and Human Toxicology &
Department of Physiological Sciences
2187 Mowry Road, Bldg 471
PO Box 110885
Gainesville, FL 32611
- PhD Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, CAN, 2006
- MSc Zoology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, CAN, 2001
- BSc Biology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, CAN, 1996
Courses Taught in College of Veterinary Medicine
- VME 6603 Advanced Toxicology (Fall)
- VEM 5176 Poisonous Plants (Spring)
- VEM 5172 Veterinary Toxicology (Fall)
Recent Honors and Awards
- 2013: The Gorbman – Bern New Independent Investigator Award. North American Society for Comparative Endocrinology
- 2013: Canadian Society of Zoology, Bob Boutilier New Investigator Award
- 2010: UNB Harrison-McCain Young Researcher Award
- 2008: ThermoElectron-ABRF 2008 Outstanding Scientist/Technologists Awardees
- 2007: Finalist for top Ph.D. thesis in Canada (Canadian Society of Zoology)
aquatic toxicology, sex steroids, neuroendocrinology, gamma-aminobutyric acid, transcriptomics, proteomics, reproduction, fish biology
- Adverse outcome pathways for mitochondrial dysfunction in fish (D. Dreier, PhD candidate)
- Mechanisms of intersex and sex differentiation in rainbow darter (P Bahamonde, PhD)
- Impacts of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons on the reproductive axis (J Loughery, PhD candidate)
- Molecular biomarkers for environmental assessments for selenium in trout (R. Kan, MSc candidate)
- Pesticide effects on GABAergic and dopaminergic signaling systems in zebrafish (A. Cowie, MSc candidate)
- Natural product screening for angiogenesis in zebrafish (K. Sarty, MSc candidate)
Recent Research Articles
- Mathieu-Denoncourt J, Martyniuk CJ, Loughery JR, Yargeau V, de Solla SR, Langlois VS. 2016. Lethal and sublethal effects of phthalate diesters in Silurana tropicalis larvae. Environ Toxicol Chem. In press
- Marlatt VL, Sherrard R, Kennedy CJ, Elphick JR, Martyniuk CJ. 2016. Application of molecular endpoints in early life stage salmonid environmental biomonitoring. Aquat Toxicol. 173:178-91.
- Collí-Dulá RC, Martyniuk CJ, Streets S, Denslow ND, Lehr R. 2016. Molecular impacts of perfluorinated chemicals (PFASs) in the liver and testis of male largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) in Minnesota Lakes. Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. In press
- Bahamonde PA, Feswick A, Isaacs MA, Munkittrick KR, Martyniuk CJ. 2016. Defining the role of omics in assessing ecosystem health: Perspectives from the Canadian environmental monitoring program. Environ Toxicol Chem. 35(1):20-35.
Ornostay A, Marr J, Loughery JR, Martyniuk CJ. 2016. Transcriptional networks associated with 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) ovary. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 225:23-32.
- Lobikin M, Lobo D, Blackiston DJ, Martyniuk CJ, Tkachenko E, Levin M. 2015. Serotonergic regulation of melanocyte conversion: A bioelectrically regulated network for stochastic all-or-none hyperpigmentation. Sci Signal. 8(397):ra99.
- Zhang J, Koch I, Gibson LA, Loughery JR, Martyniuk CJ, Button M, Caumette G, Reimer KJ, Cullen WR, Langlois VS. 2015. Transcriptomic responses during early development following arsenic exposure in Western Clawed Frogs, Silurana tropicalis. Toxicol Sci. 148(2):603-17.
- Wood RK, Crowley E, Martyniuk CJ. 2015. Developmental profiles and expression of the DNA methyltransferase genes in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) following exposure to di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate. Fish Physiol Biochem. 42(1):7-18.
- Miller LL, Isaacs MA, Martyniuk CJ, Munkittrick KR. 2015. Using molecular biomarkers and traditional morphometric measurements to assess the health of slimy sculpin (Cottus cognatus) from streams with elevated selenium in north-eastern British Columbia. Environ Toxicol Chem. 34:2335-46.
- Cowie AM, Wood RK, Chishti Y, Feswick A, Loughery JR, Martyniuk CJ. 2015. Transcript variability and physiological correlates in the fathead minnow ovary: Implications for sample size, and experimental power. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 187:22-30.
- Simmons DB, Benskin JP, Cosgrove JR, Duncker BP, Ekman DR, Martyniuk CJ, Sherry JP. 2015. Omics for aquatic ecotoxicology; Control of extraneous variability to enhance the analysis of environmental effects. Environ Toxicol Chem. 34(8):1693-704.
- Wood RK, Seidel JS, Martyniuk CJ. 2015. Transcripts involved in steroid biosynthesis and steroid receptor signaling are expressed early in development in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 182:64-72.
- Bahamonde PA, Fuzzen ML, Bennett CJ, Tetreault GR, McMaster ME, Servos MR, Martyniuk CJ, Munkittrick KR. 2015. Whole organism responses and intersex severity in rainbow darter (Etheostoma caeruleum) following exposures to municipal wastewater in the Grand River basin, ON, Canada. Part A. Aquatic Toxicol. 159:290-301
- Bahamonde PA, McMaster ME, Servos MR, Martyniuk CJ, Munkittrick KR. 2015. Molecular pathways associated with the intersex condition in rainbow darter (Etheostoma caeruleum) following exposures to municipal wastewater in the Grand River basin, ON, Canada. Part B. Aquatic Toxicol 159:302-16.
- Tang F, Minch T, Dinning K, Martyniuk CJ, Kilada R, Rochette R. 2015. Size-at-age and body condition of juvenile American lobsters (Homarus americanus) living on cobble and mud in a mixed-bottom embayment in the Bay of Fundy. Mar Biol. 162: 69-79.α-dihydrotestosterone. Gen Comp Endocrinol. In press.