Food Animal Reproduction and Medicine Service
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences
PO Box 100136
2015 SW 16th Ave
Gainesville, FL 32610
FAX: (352) 392-8289
- Diplomate, American College of Theriogenologists
- BS, Dairy Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, 1976
- DVM, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, 1980
- Internship, Chino Valley Veterinary Associates, 1981
Honors and Awards
- Teacher of the Year Award, Large Animal Medicine, Class of 2008
- University of Florida Blue Key Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching and Research, 2005
- Carl Norden – Pfizer Distinguished Teaching Award, College of Veterinary Medicine, 2005
- University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Achievement Award, 2005
- Fulbright Scholar Grant (Argentina), 2004
- Daniels Pharmaceutical Young Clinical Investigator Award, 1996
- Large Animal Medicine Clinician Of The Year, Classes of 1994 and 1992
Dr. Risco’s primary research focus is on reproductive management of dairy cattle. He is interested in the effect of calving related disorders on postpartum health and have collaborated with others on the development and application of timed artificial insemination technologies. He also has an interest in the toxicological effect of gossypol from feeding cottonseed products to ruminant livestock.
- Effects of oral calcium supplementation on mineral and acid-base status, energy metabolites, and health of postpartum dairy cows.
- Effects of oral calcium supplementation on productive and reproductive performance in Holstein cows.
Publications listed here.