In the News
In addition to stories we produce, our college and the UF Veterinary Hospitals are frequently featured or mentioned in the external media. When we become aware of interesting news features or video, we will list some of them here.
- UF researchers report cats may be the key to human HIV vaccine: This story featuring the recent work of Dr. Janet Yamamoto was released nationally to the Associated Press and was covered in media outlets and blogs, including the Philadelphia Inquirer, the University Herald, the Gainesville Sun, WebMD, Phys.Org, Health Canal, Indiablooms.com, Medical Xpress, Health Medical and Science Updates, Health News Digest, BioPortfolio, Fox News, WTSP and locally on WCJB-TV News, GTN News, the Gainesville Sun, Alligator among others. Many veterinary and pet oriented publications also picked up the story, including DVM360, CatsTodayWorld, and many others.
- A dog that saved a family from a fire in their home was treated for burns at UF Small Animal Hospital. The story appeared in numerous national outlets, including USA Today and the Huffington Post before being covered locally by the Gainesville Sun.
- A story about the UF Large Animal Hospital farrier, Jody Schaible, was in the Gainesville Sun: UF farrier tapped to mentor students
- A story about a UF Large Animal Hospital veterinary technician, Cheryl Gallowitz, winning a contest for her salsa recipe appeared in the Gainesville Sun: Local woman’s winning salsa unveiled and in the Alligator.
- John Haven, director of medical/health administration at the college, was a guest participant in a recent radio discussion on Horses in the Morning radio show, based in Ocala. The subject was large animal technical rescue. The show can be found here.
- A story about the UF Small Animal Hospital’s Blood Bank program appeared Aug. 25 in the Gainesville Sun and in its sister paper, the Ocala Star Banner and was later picked up by the Associated Press. The original story is here. It subsequently was referenced in a story that appeared in CBSNews and has also appeared in additional news outlets nationally and statewide.
- Rare African crane that has been sighted in the Ocala area. (Gainesville Sun)
- The UF Maddie’s Shelter Medicine team was one of several groups that provided assistance to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in a landmark dogfighting case that was reported on in the national news. Among outlets carrying the story were Yahoo.com, CNN and many other national, state and local news outlets.
- UF animal hospital performs rare procedure on Jacksonville cat ( Florida Times-Union.)
- Battle is fierce for pets with cancer: (Gainesville Sun)
- UF PETS clinic grand opening anniversary: (Gainesville Sun and Ocala Star-Banner)
- Florida panther receives surgery at UF: Gainesville Sun, Florida PantherNet and Fox30News
- Club, community support help service dog get cancer treatment: ( GTN News)
- How to give a 1,500-pound manatee a heart exam (Futurity)
- UF study gives new insight into manatees (Gainesville Sun)
- Media darling pig Chris P. Bacon hams it up before UF hernia operation
- Interview with Suze Orman following commencement speech (University of Florida)
- Youtube video of Suze Orman commencement speech
- Take one day at a time, Suze Orman tells vet school grads (Gainesville Sun)
- Personal finance expert speaks at UF (Associated Press)
- Noted financial advisor Suze Orman to speak at vet school commencement (Gainesville Sun)
- Little horse with big heart inspires 2-legged friends. (Gainesville Sun)
- A juvenile bald eagle treated at UF through the zoological medicine service was released back into the wild near Newnans Lake in Gainesville on April 10, The Gainesville Sun’s photo gallery appears here.
- Diplomatic therapy dog recovering from cancer surgery at UF (Gainesville Sun)
- Several stories relating to Erik Bendl, known as World Guy for his treks around the country to promote diabetes awareness, and his dog, Nice’s need for surgery and subsequent procedure at the UF Small Animal Hospital have appeared in the press recently. Following Erik’s initial visit to UF, stories appeared on Fox 13/Tampa Bay news on March 6 and in Hernando Today newspaper, serving the Spring Hill community and surrounding area, on March 9. Additional stories generated after Nice’s successful surgery at the UF Small Animal Hospital appeared on GTN News on March 22, in the Gainesville Sun on March 27, in Hernando Today again on March 27, and on various other news sites and blogs.
- UF veterinary student Casey Siljestrom was featured in this story She defied the odds, beating a cancer that defied the norm (Gainesville Sun)
- Students get up-close at life as a vet (Gainesville Sun)
- The use of hyperbaric chamber treatment in veterinary medicine for pets was explored in an Associated Press article featuring Dr. Justin Shmalberg and the UF Small Animal Hospital. The article appeared in a variety of national news outlets, including NPR, the Washington Post, the Seattle Times, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the Miami Herald, the Charlotte Observer, ABC News, Yahoo and many others. The video associated with the story also appeared on AOL.com, on Fox News, the Huffington Post ,NBC Newsand other outlets.
- Horse with equine herpes in stable condition (Ocala Star Banner)
- Horse with equine herpes raises concerns (Ocala Star Banner)
- The story of Cali: Snake bite survivor (Cesar Milan’s blog)
- Project Heal dog-and-car wash event
- UF studying disease linked to sandflies (Gainesville Sun)
UF equine veterinarians laud leishmaniasis awareness (The Horse)
- Snake-bitten Clermont dog first at UF to be treated in hyperbaric chamber (Orlando Sentinel)
Dog recovers after near-fatal snakebite (WESH.com, Orlando)
- October 2012:
First canine total knee replacement at University of Florida a success (DVM Magazine)
- Pets 2012: Sit, Stay, Heal (Orlando Magazine)
- Rare, white sea turtles hatch in Flagler, New Smyrna Beach
(Daytona Beach News Journal)