In the News
In addition to stories we produce, our college and the UF Veterinary Hospitals are frequently featured or mentioned in the external media. When we become aware of interesting news features or video, we will list some of them here.
- A juvenile bald eagle treated at UF through the zoological medicine service was released back into the wild near Newnans Lake in Gainesville on April 10, The Gainesville Sun’s photo gallery appears here.
- Diplomatic therapy dog recovering from cancer surgery at UF (Gainesville Sun)
- Several stories relating to Erik Bendl, known as World Guy for his treks around the country to promote diabetes awareness, and his dog, Nice’s need for surgery and subsequent procedure at the UF Small Animal Hospital have appeared in the press recently. Following Erik’s initial visit to UF, stories appeared on Fox 13/Tampa Bay news on March 6 and in Hernando Today newspaper, serving the Spring Hill community and surrounding area, on March 9. Additional stories generated after Nice’s successful surgery at the UF Small Animal Hospital appeared on GTN News on March 22, in the Gainesville Sun on March 27, in Hernando Today again on March 27, and on various other news sites and blogs.
- UF veterinary student Casey Siljestrom was featured in this story She defied the odds, beating a cancer that defied the norm (Gainesville Sun)
- Students get up-close at life as a vet (Gainesville Sun)
- The use of hyperbaric chamber treatment in veterinary medicine for pets was explored in an Associated Press article featuring Dr. Justin Shmalberg and the UF Small Animal Hospital. The article appeared in a variety of national news outlets, including NPR, the Washington Post, the Seattle Times, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the Miami Herald, the Charlotte Observer, ABC News, Yahoo and many others. The video associated with the story also appeared on AOL.com, on Fox News, the Huffington Post ,NBC Newsand other outlets.
- Horse with equine herpes in stable condition (Ocala Star Banner)
- Horse with equine herpes raises concerns (Ocala Star Banner)
- The story of Cali: Snake bite survivor (Cesar Milan’s blog)
- Project Heal dog-and-car wash event
- UF studying disease linked to sandflies (Gainesville Sun)
UF equine veterinarians laud leishmaniasis awareness (The Horse)
- Snake-bitten Clermont dog first at UF to be treated in hyperbaric chamber (Orlando Sentinel)
Dog recovers after near-fatal snakebite (WESH.com, Orlando)
- October 2012:
First canine total knee replacement at University of Florida a success (DVM Magazine)
- Pets 2012: Sit, Stay, Heal (Orlando Magazine)
- Rare, white sea turtles hatch in Flagler, New Smyrna Beach
(Daytona Beach News Journal)