CVM Open House
Annual CVM Open House
will be April 13 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Come one, come all to the UF College of Veterinary Medicine’s traditional Open House! The event will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the college, 2015 SW 16th Ave., in Gainesville. The college and the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association work together to put on this wonderful, fun and education event each year for the community. And it’s all free!
Our Open House is an opportunity to learn more about the veterinary profession and what our Small and Large Animal Hospitals have to offer, engage in learning opportunities, see cool stuff and even adopt an animal from a local shelter. Come learn more about us! What a great way to spend a Saturday!
In addition to tours of the Small and Large Animal Hospitals and the Grevior Shelter Medicine Suite, which will be ongoing, there will be:
Small Animal Hospital:
* Educational Demonstrations (Small Animal Endoscopy, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; Underwater Canine Treadmill, (11 a.m. 1 p.m. 3 p.m.)
* Dialysis, ventilator and CPR Demonstrations (ongoing)
* Radiographs and ultrasound (ongoing)
* V.E.T.S. Disaster Team: (Starts at 10 a.m., runs every 30 minutes)
* “Tips on Getting into Vet School” lectures (11:45 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.)
* Tours of the Small and Large Animal Hospitals and the Shelter Medicine Clerkship area (ongoing)
* Police and Sheriff’s Office K-9 Demonstrations (Bite, Bomb Sniffing and Odor Detection): (11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. for various activities)
* Pet Adoptions from local rescue groups (ongoing)
* Educational games and Prizes
Large Animal Hospital
* Equine Treadmill Demonstrations ( 11 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12 p.m., 12:30 p.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m.)
* Pregnant Mare Ultrasound (ongoing)
* Name a baby horse (ongoing – come by and drop the name you want of the next foal into a drawing. The name drawn at the end of the day will be given to the next foal born.)
* ECG monitoring of a horse (ongoing)
* Rumen Fluid Collection (ongoing
* Large Animal Surgery “game show” (ongoing)
* Food Animal Medicine Presentation (ongoing)
* Boon, the Breyer Horse (ongoing)
Food and drinks will be available for purchase. Proceeds from products sold will benefit veterinary student organizations.
Check out our photo gallery from last year’s Open House here.